Planning for expansion: Points to note
- Consult your parents and stakeholders on the expansion or redevelopment project at an early stage. Work out how to minimise the negative impact to the learning and teaching environment. Ensure that there is sufficient fund for the project.
- Appoint Authorized Persons to prepare and submit building and relevant plans on your behalf and seek independent legal advice where necessary. Download the flowchart to have an idea of the steps required in implementing an expansion or redevelopment plan. Your Authorized Person should be able to guide you through. The flowchart is used for illustration purpose only. The steps involved may be different in different cases.
- Some works such as converting the roof top into a
playground requires special attention. These works are governed
by a separate section under the Education Regulations. For
example, Regulations 16 to 20 and 46 set out the stipulations
and structural requirements which should be satisfied before
students are allowed to use the roof playground. You should
enlist the service of a building professional as necessary. If
building works requiring approval and consent and/or minor works
are involved, you should appoint an Authorized Person and these
works should comply with the statutory and procedural
requirements under the Buildings Ordinance. For further details,
please visit the website at
- For information on statutory town plans, related
guidelines and procedures related to Planning Applications, they
can be accessed online from the Town Planning Board’s website and the Statutory
Planning Portal. Also more information can be obtained from Planning
Department’s website; or visit Planning Department’s two
Enquiry Counters located at :
17/F, North Point Government Offices, 333 Java Road, North Point, Hong Kong
14/F, Sha Tin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin, New Territories
- Contact us if you would like to have preliminary discussion on the expansion or redevelopment plan with relevant Government departments before making a formal submission. We would use our best endeavours to line up meeting(s) with relevant Government departments on your behalf. You are reminded that some departments would request from you certain information, such as preliminary plan, before the meeting.
- Expansion or redevelopment projects often involve various Government departments and public bodies. Allow plenty of time for the departments and public bodies to scrutinise your plan.
- Before you request policy support from the Education Bureau on your project, please complete the checklist to make sure you have in hands the necessary details for our processing of your request.
- Consult the local community as appropriate, including the residents nearby, owners’ committees (if any), and the District Council. In most cases, they have concerns on traffic arrangement during and after the construction, and visual impact of the school premises after the redevelopment or expansion.